Nick and Daniel (a sleep medicine doctor and insomnia expert) trade off describing their favorite myths and misconceptions about insomnia and sleep.
You can listen to the episode in your podcast player of choice:
Here are some of the highlights from our conversation:
- Does everyone need 8 hours of sleep per night?
- Should I go to bed at the same time every night?
- The crucial difference between feeling tired and feeling sleepy
- If I’m not getting 8 hours of sleep, am I at risk for major health issues?
- Do I need to avoid blue light before bed?
- Do things cause insomnia or beliefs about things? See also: Nick’s Complete Guide to Insomnia
- The problem with sleep hygiene
- Sleep is more about what you don’t do than what you do.
- Sleep effort and the perfect metaphor for insomnia
- Is it important to get an even number of sleep cycles?
- Beware the Sleep Hygiene Industrial Complex
- If I have a big day coming up, should I get into bed early?
- Can I pay off my long-term sleep debt?
- How important is it to understand what caused my insomnia?
- Triggering factors vs maintaining factors in insomnia
- Insomnia and threat-monitoring
- Is insomnia even a sleep disorder?
- Does sleep quality deteriorate with age?
- Should I avoid exercise in the evenings?
- Intention is everything when it comes to sleep.
You can learn more about Daniel here:
Get New Episodes First
Learn more about the Minds & Mics podcast here, including how to subscribe and get all my newest episodes as soon as they’re released.