In this episode of Minds & Mics, I talk with author Nir Eyal about the relationship between technology use and wellbeing among children, parenting in the age of social media, and the virtues of getting out of your kids’ way.
You can listen to the episode in your podcast player of choice:
Here are some of the highlights from our conversation:
- Common misconceptions about kids and screen time
- Why screen time is a pointless metric
- What’s really behind increased rates of suicide and depression among kids?
- The mental health benefits of technology
- Root vs proximate cause of technology overuse
- Psychological nutrients
- Deci and Ryan’s self-determination theory
- The importance of free play
- The Gardener and the Carpenter by Alison Gropnik
- Variable reinforcement
- Play Anything by Ian Bogost
- Mindset by Carol Dweck
- Why consistent family meals are so important
- Implementation intentions and timeboxing
You can learn more about Nir and his work here:
Get New Episodes First
Learn more about the Minds & Mics podcast here, including how to subscribe and get all my newest episodes as soon as they’re released.