In this episode of Minds & Mics, I talk with psychologist and author Pia Callesen about overthinking and the metacognitive approach to emotional struggles like anxiety and depression.
You can listen to the episode in your podcast player of choice:
Here are some of the highlights from our conversation:
- What is overthinking, exactly?
- Types of overthinking
- The 2 reasons why we overthink
- The difference between anxious and depressive overthinking
- Overthinking as a universal mechanism for emotional suffering
- Scheduled overthinking
- Metacognitive Therapy vs traditional Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Metacognitive Therapy vs Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- The busy train station metaphor
- The window pane experiment
- The problem with coping skills
- How will psychotherapy be different in 50 years?
You can learn more about Pia and her work here:
- Pia’s website
- Pia’s book: Live More Think Less: Overcoming Depression and Sadness with Metacognitive Therapy
- Pia’s article on overthinking in Psyche: How to Stop Overthinking
Get New Episodes First
Learn more about the Minds & Mics podcast here, including how to subscribe and get all my newest episodes as soon as they’re released