Tom Horvath comes on the show to discuss how to think about addiction, including what it really means, where it comes from, and how best to work through any form of addiction.
You can listen to the episode in your podcast player of choice:
Here are some of the highlights from our conversation:
- Common misconceptions about addiction
- The 3 fundamental addictive behaviors
- Are addicts fundamentally different than non-addicts?
- Is addiction a habit?
- Addiction, loss of control, and the gun-to-the-head test
- How important is self-control and willpower in overcoming addiction?
- Cravings, Urge Surfing (Alan Marlatt), and Confidence
- Transforming desire
- Addiction as a relationship, not a thing (Stanton Peele, Love and Addiction)
- Should we legalize and/or decriminalize recreational drugs?
- The world’s first self-help books (Nichomachean Ethics)
- Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies professionally vetted self-help books
- Addictive personalities
- Positive addictions
- Slips vs relapses and why the distinction matters
- The opposite of addiction is connection (John Hari)
- St. John’s College
- How to help someone who’s struggling with addiction
- Smart Recovery
- Beyond Addiction
- Practical Recovery
You can follow Tom and learn more about his work here:
Get New Episodes First
Learn more about the Minds & Mics podcast here, including how to subscribe and get all my newest episodes as soon as they’re released.