Emma McAdam is a licensed marriage and family therapist as well as the host of the popular YouTube channel, Therapy in a Nutshell. In today’s episode, Emma and I talk about emotional processing and the most important ideas and skills we can learn to manage painful feelings in a healthy and productive way.
You can listen to the episode in your podcast player of choice:
- What is emotional processing?
- Why is emotional processing important?
- Wilderness therapy
- Why is it so hard to talk about our feelings?
- Primary vs secondary emotions
- Basic emotional processing skills
- Feeling emotions in our bodies
- Emotional check-ins
- Intellectualizing emotions
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- The importance of willingness
- Big Magic and the Fear Monster by Liz Gilbert
- Values-based decision-making
- The meaning of emotions
- Emotional confusion
Learn more about Emma and her work here:
Get New Episodes First
Learn more about the Minds & Mics podcast here, including how to subscribe and get all my newest episodes as soon as they’re released.
4 CommentsAdd Yours
Thank you Nick and Emma,
Never let anyone put either of you asunder, you are both incredibly gifted at getting this very important information about our mental health into the public domain in an authentic and easily understood way.
Thank you so much for all the good you bring to this world
Thanks Rita 🙂
This podcast was outstanding! I was really excited to listen to it. The timing is weirdly great for me, since I’m about 1/3 of the way through Emma’s emotional regulation course on YouTube. I’d recommend it to anyone who struggles, particularly those who are susceptible to dysregulation.
For the first time in many years, I am getting some relief from intense anxiety. Thank you both for the incredible work you do every day!
I really enjoyed this episode. I am a big fan of Therapy in a Nutshell