Dr. Adar Cohen joins me on the show to talk about his work as a professional mediator and how we can all learn to get better at having the big, difficult conversations in our lives.
You can listen to the episode in your podcast player of choice:
Here are some of the highlights from the conversations:
- The Farsi concept of Taroff
- The psychology behind conflict avoidance
- The 3 main outcomes of difficult conversations: 1) Solution, 2) Plan, 3) Understanding
- Achieving deep understanding in conversations
- The elements of effective listening
- Open-ended questions vs. litigious questions
- The importance of uncovering “gem statements”
- How to prepare in advance for difficult conversations
- How to handle defensiveness in difficult conversations
- The importance of silence in difficult conversations
- How to be a good mediator for other people
You can learn more about Adar and his work here:
- AdarCohen.com (Website)
- Adar on Twitter
- 3 Ways to lead tough, unavoidable conversations (TED Talk Video)
- How to have Difficult Conversations (Article)
Get New Episodes First
Learn more about the Minds & Mics podcast here, including how to subscribe and get all my newest episodes as soon as they’re released.
2 CommentsAdd Yours
Dear Nick, thanks so much for this. I am a chronic avoider of difficult conversations and as I am actively working on becoming more assertive, this is something I really need. Love your content.
You are a shining light of advice in a dark sea of “influencers”.
Agree with Bonnie so much. Biggest 😊