In the latest episode of Minds & Mics, I chatted with Michael Bungay Stanier about his new book How to Begin: Start Doing Something That Matters and a range of topics, including the obligation we all have to be “doubly ambitious,” why SMART goals aren’t usually very smart, the case for working in 6-week cycles, and the genius of cartoonist Gary Larson.
You can listen to this episode in your podcast player of choice:
- What makes a book useful?
- The Coaching Habit
- Being “doubly ambitious”
- How to think about overwhelm: realistic, consistent, grace
- Working in 6-week cycles
- Why Michael hates SMART goals
- Should we follow our passion?
- Relaxing into commitment
- Prizes and punishments of maintaining the status quo
- The Call of the Wild (Gary Larson)
- The value of the humble pros and cons list
Learn more about Michael and his work here:
Get New Episodes First
Learn more about the Minds & Mics podcast here, including how to subscribe and get all my newest episodes as soon as they’re released.